History of Town & Country
In the early 1900s, a cattle farm existed on this piece of property in central Phoenix, Arizona. Fast-forward to around 1959… The Mars family, who owned the cattle farm, signed over a 100-year lease of the property, and the Town & Country open-air shopping mall was built.
Many residents of Phoenix may share his memories of the Food Bazaar (several restaurants in one, where you could choose several cuisines of different cultures), Jutenhoops (for all kinds of funky gifts, cards and paraphernalia), Tangs Imports, Alpine Ski Keller, and a small Harkins movie theatre. Two famed Phoenix restaurants, Pizzeria Bianco and Rancho Pinot got their start at the Town & Country location, with Pizzeria Bianco returning and remains a tenant.
Residents who remember the disco era in Phoenix probably went to Bogart’s or the Jockey Club. Shoppers in those eras may also recall the UNICEF store and Smitty’s.
The center went through a multi-phase development that began in 2006 and completed in 2011. Adding large-format retailers such as Nordstrom Rack, Whole Foods, and Forever 21, the dynamic of the center has changed and adapted to the neighborhood’s needs and demands. Currently, the center is 100% leased and offers an eclectic selection of shops, restaurants and service providers.